This week’s French Fridays with Dorie savory cracker recipe comes at a perfect time to bake for a holiday party, serve a stack of tender cheddar walnut crackers with small glasses of bubbly and you will have yourself a nice appetizer setup. Buttery shortbread crackers with savory flavor would also be good added to a cheese plate and I would call that a meal, a very good meal. I guess you could add fruit to your cheese plate to count in another food group but it’s not really necessary. My husband and I enjoyed my homemade crackers filled with sharp cheddar cheese and toasted walnuts for a cozy shared appetizer. For entertaining I would bake these crackers off right before your company arrives because the fresh baked crackers will make the kitchen smell like a bakery and your guests will be happy and feel welcomed the second they walk in the door.
I am linking this post to French fridays with Dorie, an online group cooking and baking their way through Around My French Table by Dorie Greenspan and sharing their results every Friday. I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday week with plenty of family and friends around your table.
Adapted from Around My French Table by Dorie Greenspan.
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Pinch of Aleppo pepper, or cayenne
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Place the butter, cheese, walnuts, salt, white pepper and Aleppo pepper in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until mixture forms small curds.
- Add the flour and continue pulsing until the mixture forms small curds and looks moist, remove from the bowl.
- Turn the dough out onto the counter and knead a few times until smooth.
- Divide and form dough into 2 logs-wrap snuggly in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and prepare 2 baking sheets lined with parchment or silpats.
- Slice 1/4" slices from the logs, press down to slightly flatten slices on the cutting board and place on the baking sheets, about 1" apart.
- Bake for 14-15 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom and edges of each cracker.
- Cool on metal racks for a few minutes, remove crackers from baking sheets to metal racks and continue cooling.