Do you have a recipe that you make from scratch just about every week? Well, this is that recipe for me and it happens to be for granola. We crave Greek yogurt sprinkled with honey almond granola…using this recipe. It is easy, fits in a large glass canister on my counter and easily satisfies a sweet tooth. I started with a simple granola recipe that I found in Whole-Grain Mornings: New Breakfast Recipes to Span the Seasons by Megan Gordon. In the chapter, titled Basics there is a recipe for Make-Your-Own Signature Granola that I’ve made exactly that way. I’m sharing my own tweaked version of this recipe but love this cookbook and suggest adding it to your collection.
Favorite things about this granola recipe are the flavors of Orange Blossom honey, vanilla, cinnamon, toasted rolled oats, roasted almonds, maple syrup and extra-virgin olive oil. It’s kind of sad when my glass container of granola runs low..but it’s so easy to fill it back up again. I’m forever stocking up on the ingredients so I usually have everything needed right in the pantry-don’t you just love a recipe like that?
We are in the middle of our first hot (record breaking) weather of the season. Today our high will be 91F which is actually a few degrees cooler than yesterday, that’s a relief! I won’t be making any oven baked granola today but my pictures are from last week when it was cooler but not to worry -I heard the temperatures will be cooling off this weekend just in time to bake another batch of my favorite honey almond granola.
- 1 cup whole raw almonds
- 3 & 1/2 cups rolled oats, I used Bob's Red Mill
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking spice, optional-I used Penzeys brand
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder or vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, I used Whole Foods brand
- 1/2 cup Orange Blossom honey
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the almonds on the prepared baking sheet and roast for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned, set aside.
- Stir together all the above ingredients, except almonds, in a large bowl until well mixed.
- Spread the raw unbaked granola evenly on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, remove from oven and turn over granola with large metal spatula.
- Put back in the oven and continue baking for 15 additional minutes, if necessary- turn again and bake for 5 minutes or until you have desired browned color, don't over bake.
- Let the granola cool before breaking up in smaller pieces and placing in a covered container.