Double Coconut Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies…coming right up…I have a batch in my oven right now as we speak- I don’t know what got into me this past month but I have baked variations of these cookies at least half a dozen times. I keep baking, tweaking the recipe and sharing these cookies. Everybody loves them and asks for the recipe so here it is coming right up in my blog post.
I don’t know, am I the only one with this repeater recipe cookie baking thing? I think there is something cozy and comfortable about baking a familiar batch of cookies with maybe a slight tweak or twist to them. How much oatmeal, chocolate chips or coconut is the right amount?? How about the sugars or the flours?? For sure it needs a little salt..and here comes another batch out of the oven.
I also wanted to seize the opportunity to share a photo of a vintage apron from my now boxed up in the garage poodle collection, that’s what happens to bad little collections when they get out of control-they get boxed up and put away, except for this cool little apron, I don’t know it might be from the fifties? That would be 1950′s making my apron over 50 years old, I would never give away it’s exact age-now that wouldn’t be very nice, would it?
Do I ever wear this vintage poodle apron when I’m baking? No, but it might be just the thing for entertaining – a theme cocktail in one hand and a rented poodle in the other when greeting guests at the door. I’ll get right on that.
I’m joining Roxana’s Chocolate Party this month, a little bit late but better late than never! Since I’ve been baking multiple batches of my delicious coconut-y and chocolate-y oatmeal drop cookies over the past month I decided that there is no better time than the present to share this recipe on my blog with the Chocolate Party since the theme ingredient for the month of April is coconut and at the moment I am all about chocolate coconut cookies.
Adapted from Spectrum Organics.
- 1/2 cup organic coconut oil
- 3/4 cup organic dark brown cane sugar
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking spice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 & 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips, larger size
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Place the flours, baking soda, cinnamon, baking spice and salt in a medium bowl, stir to combine and set aside.
- Place the coconut oil in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat several minutes or until creamy.
- Add the sugars and beat on medium speed until coconut oil is blended with sugar.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract, beat until blended.
- Add the dry ingredients using low speed until incorporated into coconut mixture.
- Stir in the rolled oats, coconut and chocolate chips, combine well.
- Use a small scoop (about 1 rounded tablespoon) to form balls of dough to drop on the prepared cookie sheets, press down on top of dough balls to slightly flatten tops.
- Space the dough balls in rows of 3 with at least 1 inch of space between each one.
- Bake for 14 minutes, until lightly browned on edges and bottoms, remove from oven and cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before removing to continue cooling on metal racks.