Congratulations to the San Francisco Giants- our World Champions! Last night’s game was a thrill to watch, winning the series in a four game weep was an unexpected accomplishment by the team and one that will be celebrated here in the San Francisco Bay Area for months to come. The victory parade is on Halloween day so I didn’t know it at the time but I baked these brown butter M&M cookies to celebrate our Giant’s World Series win. I broke into my Halloween candy stash (twice!) and unleashed the inner cookie monster this week. For these latest brown butter cookies I used a bag of Fall color themed milk chocolate M&M’s. After weeks of warm temperatures leading up to Halloween night, our forecast is for rain-I hope it’s wrong! Our neighborhood hosts hundreds of trick or treaters every year and this past week Halloween decorations went up on the street. Ghouls wearing rags chained to large piles of assorted pumpkins set up right next to cheerful scrappy scarecrows stuck on wooden sticks in leaf covered lawns are a few of my favorites. I also love seeing the ghost made from a white sheet that is eerily pulled across our street from tree top to tree top and the skeleton pirates reclining in a creek while passing a bottle of rum with dry ice smoking from a treasure chest in the background. But, best of all are the little people wearing costumes trick or treating after the sun goes down. I’m hoping for a dry raincoat/umbrella free day for both the Giants parade and Halloween evening.
Once again I have to thank my go-to source for fun cookie recipes- my blogging friend Lizzy@That Skinny Chick Can Bake for this recipe and for all her baking inspiration, thanks Lizzy! I hope everyone has a fun evening planned for Halloween and if baking cookies is part of your celebration I hope you’ll consider trying this recipe for Brown Butter M&M Cookies or my previous post of Milky Way Cookies.
Gently adapted from That Skinny Chick Can Bake.
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1&3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1&1/2 cup milk chocolate M&M's
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment of silpats.
- Melt 10 tablespoons of the butter in a medium sauce pan over medium high heat, continue cooking until the butter is light brown with a nutty fragrance.
- Pour the butter into a heatproof bowl and stir in the remaining butter until melted.
- Add the sugars and then vanilla.
- Mix in the egg and egg yolk.
- Stir in the baking soda and then flour, mix until combined.
- Stir in the M&M's.
- Scoop out rounded tablespoons and space evenly on baking sheets, about 2" apart.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes, until light brown.
- Cool on metal racks.