Every mom has to have a few tricks in her bag and a bag of cinnamon honey graham cracker hearts will go a long way to make the family happy while satisfying a sweet tooth. My contribution to Shay’s virtual baby shower hosted by Aubrey at Home Grown and Healthy is my favorite graham cracker recipe slightly adapted to make hearts for the very special occasion of welcoming a new baby into the family.
Shay designed my blog, actually she’s designed 2 blogs for me! When Aubrey contacted me last year to ask if I would like to contribute a post to the virtual baby shower that she was putting together for Shay I started thinking about what I would like to contribute. I know babies don’t eat graham crackers but babies grow up too fast and become kids who love graham crackers-homemade graham crackers even better!
Congratulations Shay, thanks for all your help over the years and I wish you all the best with your precious family-I hope you enjoy the recipe!
- 1&1/2 cups graham flour, plus more for rolling out the dough
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) room temperature unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1&1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- For the Cinnamon-Sugar Topping
- 2 tablespoons Demerara sugar
- 1/8th teaspoon cinnamon
- Have your butter soft at room temperature before starting this recipe.
- Sift together the flours, salt, baking soda and cinnamon, set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer beat together the butter, sugar and egg on medium high speed until smooth and creamy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the honey and vanilla, continue beating until smooth, stop and scrape down the bowl as needed.
- With the mixer on low speed add the dry ingredients in 3 batches-beat just until flour disappears, do not over beat the dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a sheet of wax paper and press into a disk shape, wrap with the wax paper.
- Place in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- To make the Cinnamon-Sugar Topping
- Mix the Demerara sugar and cinnamon together, set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpats.
- Place the dough on a generously floured (graham flour) work surface. Dust the top of the dough with graham flour and lightly flour the rolling pin.
- Using a small heart cookie cutter cut out the hearts and place on the prepared sheets.
- Place the first pan of graham cracker hearts in the fridge while you prepare the second sheet.
- Gather up the scraps, dust with graham flour and roll out the remaining dough.
- Prick the crackers with a toothpick creating evenly spaced holes before sprinkling on the cinnamon-sugar topping.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until firm and lightly browned on the edges.
- Remove from the oven and cool on metal racks.