I feel like Target introducing Christmas before Thanksgiving with these pretty white chocolate blondies with cranberries, pecans and candied ginger but it’s Chocolate Party time and the theme for this month is chocolate baked with cranberries. The first week of November is time to at least start thinking about if not planning our holiday baking projects and I think these festive bar cookies might fit in nicely with our plans. I thought of Target because that is where I picked up my latest stash of chocolate for baking and they have a pretty good selection. The Classic Recipe Lindt White Chocolate bars work well in this bar cookie recipe. I did a white chocolate taste test and prefered the Lindt white chocolate to the Ghiradelli. I also picked up several bars of the Ghiradelli 60% Bittersweet Chocolate which is one of my favorite chocolate for baking. Although I think the taste of the chocolate changes slightly when you bake with it, you probably don’t want to start with a chocolate that doesn’t taste good to you. Target also carries many flavors of Ghiradelli chocolate chips as well as a variety of candy that’s fun to bake with..let me also add a small warning..don’t shop for these baking items around lunch time on an empty stomach which may lead to an oversupply in your baking pantry! I’ve always heard that a healthy eater avoids the middle of the market and shops the perimeter, the produce, the meat and seafood..but it’s fun to shop those candy aisles buried deep in the middle of the store, we just won’t make a habit of it!
Gently adapted from Better Homes and Gardens-Christmas Cookies 2012.
- 12 ounces Classic Recipe Lindt white chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1&3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecan halves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped-plus extra for sprinkling on top
- 4 tablespoons lightly chopped crystallized ginger
- For the Drizzle
- 4 ounces Classic Recipe Lindt white chocolate
- 1 tablespoon all vegetable shortening, I use Spectrum Organic
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line a 13x9x2 pan with foil, extending over the sides. Spray with baking spray, set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over a low heat, melt the white chocolate-gently stirring until melted and smooth.
- Remove from the heat and add the butter, stir until melted, let cool for 15 minutes.
- Add the eggs and sugar to the melted chocolate mixture, whisking until smooth.
- Gradually add in the flour, stirring until well mixed, add the vanilla.
- Fold in the nuts, cranberries and 2 tablespoons of the ginger.
- The batter will be thick, spread it evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes or until light brown on top and the sides are pulling away form the pan.
- Cool on a metal rack.
- For the Drizzle
- In a small saucepan over low heat melt the chocolate and shortening, stirring until smooth.
- Drizzle the mixture over the uncut cooled bars.
- Sprinkle with the remaining ginger and if desired the extra chopped cranberries.
- Using the foil, lift the bars out of the pan and onto a cutting board, cut into 24 bars.
- Store between layers of waxed paper for up to 3 days or freeze for 3 months.