Saturday night and everybody went to the game except me and the ‘Littles’, we played with our iPads and watched a movie while waiting for the 49ers v Packers play off game to start. I concocted this cookie sundae idea for my ‘Littles’ who deserve this treat because they are going to be so good during the game!
And what a game it was- fast forward to Sunday night and all is well in the San Francisco Bay Area-Congratulations San Francisco 49ers!!!
I found both the Madagascar Vanilla Powder and the Lavender Vanilla Bean Sugar that I used in the mascarpone cookies at Savory Spice Shop but they can also be ordered at Savory Spice Shop if you’re interested in one of them or both. I don’t think there is going to be any scent left in the jar of Lavender Vanilla Bean Sugar because I can’t stopping taking the lid off and smelling it.
The mascarpone cookies are made without butter which makes them lighter than a large buttery sugar cookie but every bit as tasty. The ‘Littles’ loved them and ate all the cookie scraps left from cutting out the circles. If you don’t make the sundaes, please try the cookies-they are so easy and can be served broken apart from the large baked cookie instead of taking the time to cut out the circles.
Mascarpone cookie adapted from Radically Simple by Rozanne Gold.
- For the Cookie
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon lavender vanilla bean sugar, for sprinkling on top
- For the Sundae
- 1 pint black raspberry chocolate chip ice cream, I used Graeter's brand
- 2 6 ounce baskets blackberries
- To Make the Cookies
- In the bowl of a standing mixer combine the mascarpone, flour, confectioners sugar, vanilla bean powder, vanilla bean paste and salt.
- Mix until a smooth dough forms, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a 6" square.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 14" square.
- Wrap the dough onto the rolling pin and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with the lavender vanilla bean sugar.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
- Cool on a metal rack.
- Cut into 6- 2&1/2" circles and set aside.
- To Make the Sundaes
- Place a cookie circle on a plate, add 2 scoops of ice cream and top with generous handful of blackberries.
- Serve immediately.