I could make a Strawberry Almond Cream Tart every week during strawberry season-that’s how much I like this recipe from Cooking Light’s Way to Bake cook book. Score-I love it when I find a favorite recipe! This strawberry tart with a graham cracker crust has it all going on-it’s fresh, fruity, light and sweet -also very popular at my Mother’s Day pool party. I don’t think we’ve ever had a big party on Mother’s Day, anyway the afternoon went by in a blur with kids in the pool, lots of food, drink, conversation and good times going on by all in our back yard. That morning I made 2 of these exact same strawberry tarts for the party and everybody liked them but the day went so fast for me that I neglected to take any photos which as you can imagine is a big no-no for any self respecting food blogger, like myself. So, as soon as possible I made another Strawberry Almond Cream Tart for my blog, which didn’t hurt my feelings one bit because I not so secretly wanted another piece as did my grandsons who enjoyed slices for an after school treat at grandma’s house. Now is the time to make a dessert with strawberries or just plain eat strawberries while they are ripe, plentiful and lower priced in the markets. We all know this so I hope you will host a party this holiday weekend and serve a beautiful homemade dessert with loads of big luscious strawberries for all to enjoy, doesn’t that sound like fun? Speaking of fun-The winner of last week’s Hamilton Beach set of mixers Giveaway is Deb from East of Eden Cooking, whom I will be contacting by email. That was kind of cool, I liked the giveaway-may have to figure out how to make that happen more often on my blog.
Thanks from me and Hamilton Beach to everybody who participated in the giveaway by leaving comments on my blog!
Adapted from Cooking Light 'Way to Bake'.
- 1 package (9 sheets) honey-flavored graham crackers
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons water
- baking spray
- 2/3 cup or 5 ounces 1/3 less-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 cups medium strawberries, hulled and divided (2 cups for topping/glaze and 4 cups left whole for topping)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Spray bottom of a 9" metal removable bottom tart pan
- prepare the crust
- Place the graham crackers in a food processor and process until crumbly.
- Add the sugar, melted butter and water, pulse until combined and moist.
- Place the graham cracker in the prepared 9" tart pan, pressing into bottom and sides (about 3/4 of the way up) of pan.
- Bake at 350F for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool completely on a metal rack.
- prepare the filling
- Combine the cream cheese, sugar and extracts in a medium bowl, spread the cream cheese mixture over the cooled graham cracker crust.
- prepare the topping
- Place 2 cups of the strawberries in the food processor and process until smooth, scraping down once or twice.
- Combine the strawberry purée, sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan and over a medium heat bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove topping/glaze mixture from heat, cool to room temperature.
- Combine remaining 4 cups of strawberries, lemon juice and a few spoonfuls of glaze/topping in a medium bowl.
- Arrange the 4 cups of whole strawberries in a circular pattern on top of the cream cheese filling.
- Spoon the topping/glaze around the berries, filling in the edges.
- Sprinkle the toasted almonds over the edges.
- Cover and chill for at least 3 hours.
- Slice and serve.