I’m home for a short week before heading to Palm Springs with the girls to relax, have fun and play a few rounds of golf in the warm weather of the great South land. I’m so humbled by my inability to lose a few pounds and keep them off that I’m fully ready to take a break from baking. Before I take some time off- I would like to offer up a delicious but humble recipe for lightened up carrot cake muffins iced with a modest amount of lemony cream cheese frosting and a sprinkling of finely chopped walnuts, they wouldn’t be nearly as pretty without it!I even sliced one open so you could see all the pretty shredded carrots inside, so of course I had to eat it right before I went out to lunch with my daughter and grand daughter. The rest went in the freezer, just like it never happened.
Now, I have to decide if I’m packing my bathing suit for the trip- who wears a bathing suit in February? All I can say is how happy I am to have such a cute cover up that I will finally get to wear at the pool.
Hope you enjoy the recipe and look forward to catching up with everyone in a few weeks!
Adapted from The Food You Crave by Ellie Krieger.
- 1 & 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour, King Arthurs Flour brand
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Spice, Penzeys brand
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup natural unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 & 1/2 cups shredded carrots ( about 4 medium size peeled carrots)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, plus 2 tablespoons extra for garnish
- For the Frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons grated Meyer lemon zest, from 1 small Meyer lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh Meyer lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, sea salt, cinnamon and baking spice, set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the oil, brown sugar and eggs until combined.
- Whisk in the applesauce, vanilla and carrots.
- Add the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined, gently stir in the walnuts.
- Divide the batter between the muffin cups using a standard size ice cream scoop.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until top springs back when gently touched.
- Cool on metal rack.
- To Make the Frosting
- Using an electric mixer beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, lemon zest and juice until smooth, 2-3 minutes.
- Chill frosting for 30 minutes while the muffins cool.
- Frost the cooled muffins (1 rounded tablespoon each) and sprinkle with walnuts.
- Store the cupcakes in the fridge for up to 3 days.