Up until today I hadn’t been too adventurous with the delicious stash of Tillamook Farmstyle Greek Yogurt in my fridge- very nicely shipped to me by Tillamook. I’ve been enjoying it throughout the week for breakfast or as a snack with a sprinkling of my homemade almond honey granola. I’ve also done a little yogurt sharing, especially once I realized I could buy more at my local Safeway store. So this morning I let a slightly overcast sky inspire me to do some baking. My last minute decisions to bake are always the most rewarding and this time my spur of the moment decision to bake a batch of muffins this morning led me right to my Greek yogurt.
Of course there are a few more things involved, besides having a large container of Greek yogurt in your fridge, when planning to bake a batch of lemon coconut yogurt muffins – like having lemons, coconuts, flour, sugar, measuring cups and spoons etc. Lucky for me I had everything I needed in my pantry for these muffins. I think most home bakers like to keep the basics for their baking on hand -just in case the urge to bake strikes. I like to bake with yogurt and having it on hand for my baking projects as well as for just plain eating is one of the things I’m doing these days.
I used the last of my Meyer lemons for these lemon coconut yogurt muffins and I admit to being sad to come to the end of my special lemons, but any lemons would work in the recipe. I noticed my Meyer lemon tree is covered with blossoms, very exciting -looking forward to a new crop!
I haven’t posted a recipe here in over a month so I had to do a little scrambling to gather all my food blogging accoutrements -such as a quick camera check-battery dead? Yes, of course- but not too worry I have an extra one fully charged just for a rainy day like today. Speaking of rainy days, it sort of feels like Oregon here today with the green hills, rain and Tillamook yogurt. But, I love it for a change from the warm early Spring weather we’ve been having or I should say enjoying here in the Bay Area.
So there you have it-a new recipe, a quick check of the weather, a few words and Patty’s Food blog is up and running this week. Please enjoy my recipe for lemon coconut yogurt muffins.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 & 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Zest and juice of 1 Meyer lemon
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 & 1/4 cups Tillamook Farmstyle Greek Yogurt, Nonfat
- 1/4 cup lowfat milk
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup organic virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon oil
- for the topping
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 Tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cake spice, I used Penzeys Spices brand
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Spray with baking spray or line with paper cups a 12 cup standard muffin pan.
- Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt and lemon zest in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the yogurt, milk, lemon juice, coconut flakes, eggs, coconut oil and lemon oil.
- Stir together until just combined, batter will be thick and fluffy.
- Portion the batter into the prepared muffin cups, I use a large scoop.
- The batter should be almost to the tops of muffin cups.
- Sprinkle the topping over the muffin tops.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack until muffins are cool enough to remove from pan and continue cooling on rack.