One more recipe with apricots but this time I’m sharing a savory salad using apricots with toasted walnuts, arugula dressed in a tangy apricot-pinot noir vinaigrette and a locally made sheep’s milk cheese shaved over the top. The local cheese is Weirauch Farm & Creamery Saint Rose raw aged farmstead sheep from Petaluma. This particular cheese is only available for a short period of time and it’s worth heading up to the Santa Rosa Farmer’s Market on Saturday morning to pick up a piece for yourself to enjoy on your salad or however you like.
This year Weirauch Farm & Creamery won a Good Food Award for their Saint Rose sheep’s milk cheese and they say this award makes their cheese even more delicious. The nice folks at Weirauch Farm & Creamery shared on their Facebook page that the secret ingredient in Saint Rose sheep cheese is love, lots and lots of love. I think you can taste the love and that’s one of the main reasons Saint Rose was so good shaved on top of my salad.
I’ve been inspired by my copy of Vegetarian Times Special Edition Farmers Market Summer Cookbook magazine and will be headed to the Santa Rosa farmer’s market with lots of ideas for seasonal veggie recipes. I hope to pick up a a bag of peaches, a loaf of fresh baked bread and another piece of Saint Rose, I think I found my new favorite cheese for the Summer season.
I also want to mention the Pinot Noir Reserve Wine Vinegar I used in my vinaigrette, the brand is Napa Valley Naturals and although it’s bottled in the US, it comes from Modena, Italy. I found it at Oliver’s market in Santa Rosa but it can be ordered at Napa Valley Naturals. I like the flavor of Pinot Noir wine in this salad but it’s also good with extra-virgin olive oil on tomato, sweet basil and mozzarella cheese salads, yum.
- 8-10 loosely packed cups arugula, washed and trimmed
- 4-6 medium apricots, pitted and sliced
- 2/3 cup toasted walnuts
- Small piece Weirauch Creamery Saint Rose raw aged farmstead sheep cheese, thinly shaved
- for the Apricot-Pinot Noir Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons apricot-pluot jam, or apricot jam of your choice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon Pinot Noir Reserve Wine Vinegar, Napa Valley Naturals brand
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- to make the vinaigrette
- Place the jam, oils, vinegar, ginger and mustard in a small food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- to make the salad
- Place the arugula in a large bowl and gently coat with the vinaigrette, adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Divide dressed arugula and center, slightly mounding on 4 dinner size plates.
- Place the apricot slices and walnuts around the edge of the arugula and shave the cheese on top of each plate.
- Serve immediately.