The tangerines from my backyard tree are so sweet right now I’ve been trying to eat a few every day. I handed my granddaughter Gracie a small tangerine and what seemed like a second later she had eaten the entire tangerine peel and all. I was thinking, oh no -but she had a big smile on her face and asked for another one. The next time I peeled the tangerine before giving it to her! That’s my testimony to how sweet these tangerines are right now. I have the tree in a large pot next to our pool and the big mystery to me is how the tree became loaded with fruit when it gets almost no sun next to our very shady pool!? Maybe someone can shed some light on that for me.
Last weekend I spent some time trying to figure out how to use GOOGLE PLUS- for me it has become the dreaded Google + as I came to realize that I had more than one account under my name. I’m not exactly sure how that came to pass but I was determined to sort it out and delete one of them! Don’t get me wrong-I like the look of all the posts I see on Google+ from the various people I follow- the problem is I don’t really understand how the whole thing works and having more than one account made it even more confusing. I finally figured out enough to delete the extra account and share a blog post with a big photo-that was traumatic but eventually doable….I really wanted to delete the whole thing but I was afraid that Google would punish me and my little blog for not participating.
Back to my salad-it’s a simple butter leaf salad with standout tangerine flavor. Try to find the sweetest tangerines possible for this salad-you will be rewarded with both the freshness of the lettuce and the sweetness from the tangerine segments as well as the creamy citrus dressing in each bite. A good friend of mine gave me a beautiful bag of fresh shelled walnuts from her orchard and I have enjoyed using them so much this past month. So, here again I’m using walnuts in one of my recipes.
Here is a photo of my tangerine tree, fully loaded with the sweetest baby tangerines, doesn’t it look pretty next to the water? I was slightly worried about it with all the early morning frost we’ve been having the last few days but it seems to be doing fine. After all the Cookies I made in December and enjoyed-it’s nice to look forward to a small tangerine for a dose of sweetness after a meal.
The fresh tangerine segments make this salad, use the sweetest ones available!
- For the Salad
- 2 heads Butter Leaf lettuce, washed and dried
- 4 tangerines, peeled and separated into segments
- 1 cup walnut halves, toasted
- For the Citrus Dressing
- 1/4 cup tangerine juice, from 1 tangerine
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 2 teaspoons champagne vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place the lettuce, tangerine segments and toasted walnuts in a large bowl.
- Place all the ingredients for the dressing in the blender and blend on high speed for 30 seconds, the dressing will be light orange and foamy.
- Lightly dress the salad right before serving or serve on the side, you may not need the entire amount of dressing.