I couldn’t go to the big game without leaving you with a scone recipe for the weekend. Last week I made peanut butter raisin bran scones for the little people in my life and they loved them so I’m passing on the recipe for my creation because first off they’re very good and secondly they would make a satisfying breakfast treat for the whole family on Super Bowl weekend. I think any type of bran flake cereal would work in these scones, I used one of my favorite breakfast cereals, Heritage Flakes which is made with a combination of different grains. I added the raisins separately so they could be left out but I wouldn’t leave them out because they’re good with the bran cereal and peanut butter. I added a peanut butter glaze to my scones because, after all, it is Super Bowl weekend, GO NINERS!!! Just had to slip that in somewhere
I am looking forward to documenting my experience in New Orleans but the big girl camera is staying home-don’t want to lug it around and then have to worry about it all the time, so I will be using my iPhone to take photos-gotta love that little picture taking device. I want to make sure to take tons of pictures of all those BBQ shrimp, crab cakes, oysters and gumbo that we will be enjoying over the weekend!
For those of you that enjoy football- have a wonderful Super Bowl weekend! I will be posting pictures on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook from New Orleans starting on Friday-now there are a few decisions to be made before the packing begins…
- 1 cup bran flake type cereal, I used Heritage Flakes
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 &1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, chilled cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup crunchy style peanut butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup peanuts, lightly chopped
- For the Peanut Butter Glaze
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons crunchy style peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cereal and milk, set aside for a few minutes to soften.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour,brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture, I used my fingers to rub butter into the flour mixture, a pastry cutter can also be used- the mixture should look crumbly with small bits of butter distributed throughout the flour mixture.
- Using a light hand stir in the peanut butter until just combined.
- Stir the eggs and vanilla into the cereal mixture.
- Add the cereal mixture into the flour/butter mixture, stirring to combine.
- With lightly floured hands knead the peanuts into the scone dough.
- Again with lightly floured hands form the dough into a 9" circle, dough will be sticky, and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place in the oven for about 10 minutes, remove and score the dough using serrated knife into 8 wedges, place back in the oven and bake for about 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of a scones comes out clean.
- Remove baking sheet to a metal cooling rack and cool for 10 minutes.
- Re cut the wedges and cool completely before serving or storing in an airtight container.
- To make the Peanut Butter Glaze
- In a small bowl stir together the powdered sugar, peanut butter, honey, vanilla extract and cinnamon.
- Gradually whisk in the milk until the mixture looks like a glaze that can be spooned on the scones.
- Spoon the glaze evenly over the scones while still warm.