We could eat fresh corn everyday during the height of it’s season so I’m always looking for different ways to prepare one of my favorite Summertime treats. The past few weeks I’ve been adding grilled corn to the salads that I serve for dinner. I pulled this salad recipe out of one of my ‘recipes to try’ files and decided that there is no better time to give this one a try. As much as we love fresh corn, I think it was the look of the grilled avocados that caught my attention in this salad. I also liked the idea of a caesar type dressing with chipotle peppers in adobo in place of the usual anchovies. After trying the grilled avocados I did wonder why I had waited so long to prepare avocados this way. They are simply delicious, of course- we’re talking about avocados here- and good looking with their grill marks. I hope you’ll give this simple Summer salad a try and like me, you’ll want to grill avocados all Summer long.
Slightly adapted from Gourmet.
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 ears of corn, shucked
- 2 firm ripe avocados, cut in half before grilling
- 1 head romaine, cut crosswise into 1" strips
- Prepare the grill for direct heat cooking.
- Make the dressing.
- Place the parmesan in a medium bowl, whisk in the olive oil, followed by the lime juice, garlic, chipotles and 1/4 teaspoon each sea salt and pepper.
- Coat corn and cut sides of avocados with vegetable oil, season with sea salt and pepper.
- Grill corn and avocados, cut sides down, turn the corn occasionally, cook until golden brown.
- Peel avocados and slice.
- Cut the corn kernels from the cobs.
- Toss the romaine with the dressing and serve topped with avocados and corn.